🍑 Peaches


This is a picture of my breakfast. Well...I had every intention of taking a beautiful stylized photo of the fresh, homegrown, sliced peaches I got down the road from a local orchard. They were picked this morning. Also in my bowl was some wonderful cottage cheese. Yes, I love cottage cheese and some 12 grain toast. No, this was not an exciting, fancy or trendy breakfast, but it was yummy. Hence, the empty bowl. I just starting eating before I remembered to snap the picture. Same with my coffee. It was exceptionally strong, black and rich this morning. It was also exceptionally needed, so no photo there. 

Sometime that is life. We go at it hard, adventurous, busy and even stressful and we end up empty. Emptiness doesn’t mean that we are spent, although it can mean that. Being emptied can also mean we just are busy living life. Here is the good news, I have more peaches in the kitchen, more bread, cottage cheese, whatever I choose to pair with them. Coffee can always be made again (that may even happen before the day is over.) being empty means we have space to be filled. 

As I study, I am back in the Psalms, a great place to be filled. Psalm 103 tells us that “He satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.” (vs. 5) In order to be filled, we must first be empty; make room for the good things to come. One of the most common passages about God filling is Luke 6:38. It speaks to being filled to over flowing, presses down and shaken to make room for more. You know, like when you buy a new bag of flour and it is just a little more than there is room for, so you shake the canister, allowing the flour to settle down, then you can squeeze in the rest from the bag. That is how Jesus explained, God will fill you. Take notice, though, it happens after you gave first.  In this case you were emptied from giving. 

This week, I plan to go get more peaches, since I am about out of peaches. But like the last box I bought, I will give away half. We can’t eat that many before they would spoil and why not? Something will come in their place. 

“I pray that God, the source of hope, will FILLyou completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13

Today:
🍑 Empty yourself your be filled 
🍑 Give
🍑 Eat some fresh fruit. It’s good for you. 

Comments