God Winked

Today, on the porch there was an interesting occurrence. I am pretty sure I had a repeat visitor. Last week I was sitting with a good friend, working on an internet Bible study project and a beautiful butterfly was flitting about my hanging lavender, sniffing and flittering from bloom to bloom. Of course, we stopped and gazed upon what we felt was a simple God wink. 

When I was little, I had an uncle that was like a father to me. We are still close to this day. He was my only father figure. He was my earthly example of our Benevolent Father. Often, when things seemed rough or tough, my uncle would shoot me a little wink. No words, or hugs, just a simple wink reminding me he was there and would be there and all would be ok. I didn't have to worry about being small or feeling powerless.

When beautiful butterflies show up out of no where and linger, giving us a peaceful presence, I consider those moments similar to my uncle's wink only it is a wink from God. They are just a simple reminder that God is still there and we can be assured of His presence.

As we began to work further on our project, trying to not just stare at the large butterfly, we both notice immediately that the poor thing had a chunk of one of its wings missing. As we finish our project, I couldn't help but wonder if that poor butterfly would fair well with his wing broken. Would he be able to fly where ever it is that butterflies fly to? Was he able to escape predators, like puppy cats that love to jump high and capture flying insects? I found myself reflecting on that butterfly for days. There must be some kind of message in the butterfly. And then, the sweet thing returned this morning. I know it was him. It has got to be the same little guy. 

Compare the two photos. 

Today I think I received the message the butterfly's two visits had for me.

As I study I am drawn to 2 Corinthians 12. 

God has everything we need in His holy power. That all our insufficiencies are made stronger by Him in our weakness. That sweet butterfly had enough because he was a creature of God. We have enough because we are a creature of God. No handicap, handicaps us. No limitation, limits us. No bad break can break us!

Today:

  • Look for God winks
  • Allow God to reveal His power in your brokenness


Comments

  1. And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don't always know what God wants us to pray for but the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. And the Father who knows all hearts what, knows what the Holy Spirit is saying because the Holy Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God's own will.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment