1:02 in the Morning

I was awakened in the middle of the night by a phone call from a toll free number. Before I could sit up and fumble with finding it, (I am blind) and get my fingers to work to slide open the screen to answer, my mind went wild with so many fears of who it could be. Are one of my grown children sick, in trouble, in need of their mama? Is one of my church family ill,  in the hospital or gone home to Our Father? As I was finally able to answer and say hello, in the back of my mind I thought, this better not be about purchasing an extended warranty, lowering my credit card interest or about my request to get information about chronic pain (which I didn’t request.) The call was none of the above. It was not an emergency, just a security check for an alarm system. No biggie. 

As I laid there trying to go back to sleep, I thought of all the thanks I had to God for the call not bringing bad news, sad news or trouble to my door. I was indeed, thankful. It took me awhile to fall asleep as I thought, again, of how fortunate I was for the call to be only what it was. I was reminded of a time in my life when I would have not seen God in this moment or thought to thank him. I would have thanked good luck. 

Why don’t we recognize God when God is at work in our lives? Why does luck or coincidence get the credit? I don’t believe that God brings bad moments to the lives of those that deserve them and good things to the lives of His favored children. If getting what we deserve was how God worked -  many of us would have much more miserable lives. Instead what I have tried to cultivate is noticing God at work. God walks and works with my children. He protects His beloved. The world can bring illness or trouble. Our poor decisions can bring us calamity or hardship. But God is there for every step we take and every move we make. (Sting nod). 


As I Study today, I am brought to the beginning of the Gospel of John, the disciple Jesus loved. It calls us out right there in black and white! God's Son, the Light came into the world and the world didn’t welcome him or even recognize him. The world kept spinning on its axis as if the God of all creation just didn’t join them in real time.

This morning I praise God for the fact that I recognized God, called on Him and praised him for being there for me and at work in the lives of the people I claim as mine. I am thankful that I notice God’s Creation (most of the time) and that I don’t live in a world of luck, good or bad. I don’t believe this was a God moment that is why nothing bad happened, because ALL moments are God’s moments, we just need to notice God in the midst of our good times and our bad times and praise Him in both.

Today:
  • Live as if every moment and every breath is God’s (it is)
  • Look for God in ever click of the clock every drop of rain
  • Read Psalm 1 - it is challenging

Comments