When This is Over...

When this is over. How many times have I heard someone say this? How many times have I said it myself? When this is over. The phrase itself indicates that we don't have a true understanding of how long it will take for "this to be over. Maybe we will flatten the curve enough we can risk leaving our homes. Maybe we will find a way to find out if people have developed an immunity so those people know they are safe. Maybe eventually we will have a vaccine that will slow the roll of this virus that is very dangerous and sometimes deadly. But even then people will have buried many loved ones without proper funerals and family gatherings to grieve. Many healthcare workers will leave their field due to the residual stress and strain Some small businesses will have struggled and maybe even closed. Some families will take years to rebuild financial security. So what do we mean by over?


Do we mean it will be over "enough" when we can at least walk around free, and able to go to church and gather at ball field and have graduations and weddings. I look forward to that day. But my prayer is that some of this is never over. 

I love that I have become more intentional about reaching out to others. I love the fact that I have not only had to re-invent how I do ministry but somedays I am pretty much re-inventing the job description for Pastor. The people that attend my church, and many others are re-inventing what it means to be a Christ follower. Basically "The Church Has Left the Building!" People have more time for the study of scripture and to do good deeds for others. I love the photos of neighbor helping neighbor. I see families relaxing at home, playing board games. I see people find new and simple ways to honor birthdays and to connect. 

My fervent prayer is that we go back to gathering in many ways, that we return to come of our activities. And I pray that we don't get so busy trying to go back to the way it was before that we lose some of the life we have created now. Revelation 21:4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the former things have passed away.” 5 And the One seated on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new." Then He said, "Write this down, for these words are faithful and true."

Comments