Maplebug/Fullmoon Winter


I promise, I was at a stop light!
Goodness gracious it’s cold; ridiculously cold. I know what some of you are thinking... “She’s whining now, but come summer she will complain about the heat.”  Not really. I like warm better. I know. It is one of those weird winters here in Tennessee. Which one is it? Redwood? Dogwood?  Locust? Blackberry? Cotton Britches? It seems like each year I learn about a new one?!?! What is this one, the Maplebug/Full Moon Winter? Where I come from there is one winter; one each of the other seasons, as a matter of fact. Even if we have a late spring cold streak,  winter certainly doesn’t come for the third time, the month before summer. 


But I might whine if it is too hot. I have been known to whine when I should be thankful. My mama used to say, “Girl, you just whine to hear yourself talk.” I’m not that bad anymore. As I grow up (yes, I am still growing up spiritually and emotionally) I am beginning to be content with what I have. All the seasons come from God. In fact all the results from the turning and rotation of the earth are from God. 


Psalm 74 says
“Both day and night belong to you; you made the starlight and the sun. You set the boundaries of the earth, and you made both summer and winter.”


I am content with what God gives. I’m learning that being content is the first step to truly being thankful. Contentedness is a state of being satisfied; your expectations have been met as you have expected. I expect May to be nice and warm during the day and slightly cool in the evening. But right now it’s cold. I can even be thankful when I am not content. Maybe it is too cold today, but at least the world is turning and rotating and I have a heater in my home.

You know what I have to say about that? I say, “Thanks, God!” I can wear a jacket because I have one and God’s plan is perfect and I praise God for making the world turn. 

Today:
  • Be content.
  • Be thankful.
  • Stay warm.
  • Bring in, or cover your plants this weekend, there is a frost warning 🥶. I mean it is the Maplebug/Fullmoon Winter, after all.


Comments