Never Flinch!

 When I was little, I watched a lot of westerns. Westerns were big at that time; Gunsmoke, High Chaparral, Bonanza, to name a few. I loved watching the good guys get into a stand off with the bad guys. The bad guy always tried to act tough, but you could see the fear lying underneath the surface. But the good guy never flinched. He knew he had good, right and justice on his side. 

Yesterday a wonderful saint left the earth. He was a father, a husband, and a grandfather. He ha been a businessman, important to the life if this community. He was a pillar and worker within the life of the church. As his pastor, I looked to him for wisdom. I used to tease him that if we looked at the molecules of his blood under a microscope, we would see the United Methodist Cross and Flame. He had been active in our denomination since before we had United in the title. But he supported and served as a leader. Church was important to him.

As he entered the last phase of his life, and conversations about illness and limitations began, he never showed fear. He didn't appear to be afraid to due, to struggle or to leave. I am not entirely sure he felt like it was happening anytime soon, as he was strong and tough, but either way, there was no fear.

As I study today I am led to the Psalm I prayed for the family in my morning prayer, Psalm 27. It begins, The Lord is my light and my salvation; who shall I fear. Jennifer Knapp recorded a song years ago called, "Peace," based on Psalm 27.  She sings, "He is my light and my salvation, whom have I to fear. In His secret place I'll hide and pray  that I might hear a simple word." The words continue, "And when my enemies draw near, I pray that they will find, that I'm protected and secure, all Tempest He will bind with a mighty word." 

There is divine security in knowing that you have nothing at all to fear. That the Lord is your champion and protector. I feel this great man never feared death because he knew that in death there was life. In the meantime he would fight the battles of justice for others while here on earth and let the Lord fight the battles of Evil. David, the Psalmist, added to this hymn, One thing I have asked of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple. 

I believe if we life in knowing the Lord like this saint, that we have good, right and perfection on our side, we will never need flinch in the sight of the trouble of evil or even in the face of earthly death. We have nothing to fear as we enter the secret place and hide in the arms of the Lord. 

Amen!

Well done good and faithful servant. 

Comments