Purge and Prioritize


I am skilled at packing up and moving. I am a United Methodist Pastor! Truthfully, I moved a lot as a child. A lot! Frankly, I wasn't too stationary as an adult pre-ministry, either. At current count my total moves are at, 18 pre-ministry and 4 within my ministry re-appointments for a total of 22 moves to date. I have become a pro-packer. While it is important to wrap pieces carefully and label boxes clearly, I have another trick that has been the most beneficial, "Purge and Prioritize." 

  • First, when I move, I get rid of all the things that have become, broken, unused or totally unneeded. I purge my home, give away items, so I don't move them into a new dwelling to sit around, take up space and cause clutter. 
  • Second, I sort and prioritize. I find the things I know I will need the minute I arrive in my new home. I label those boxes accordingly and make sure they go on the trailer last so they can be found first.
  • Third, I look for items that will be needed, for sure, but maybe not until we are settled and functioning and I mark the boxes with a #2. That way they can be found after we start living in our new space, and they are ready to be placed where they belong in the new home.
  • Fourth, I gather all the things that I really like, I really hope I will need in the new home, and I put them in boxes labeled with a "3". After we have all our necessary items I go through these boxes and see if any of these items can be used in the new house. If not, they will be given away - or if they are of sentimental value - I put them into next set of boxes, the "Number Five Boxes."

Number Five Boxes are the boxes that contain special items, like my youngest daughter's first pair of ballet shoes we had to special order because her feet were so small. These boxes also contain the love letters from my husband when we were dating and my family's coffee table bible. There are so many precious and wonderful items in these boxes. As I move and age there are a few more Number Five Boxes, all gone through occasionally in time of sentimentality and when I move to see if the pieces need to passed to the adult child that curated those pieces or if they are ready to be given to a worthy recipient. 

It may seem like a lot of work, but this process keeps me from moving unnecessary, broken and no longer useful items to clutter a new home. Clutter can hinder functionality. Clutter in a home can also, making cleaning difficult causing sickness at times. Clutter can create chaos and stifle clear thinking and creativity. Clutter from the past also holds you in the past and keeps you from forging ahead to the future.

About two months ago, all of our lives changed. We packed our lives, our habits, our activities in metaphorical boxes, awaiting instructions on how to safely live in a new world and unpack our lives to use again. Many of us thought it would go right back to the "old way" in a few weeks, some of us knew better but still hoped for the same. As time has gone on, we are anxious to unpack our boxes and get on with life. The people we have elected to form decisions for our communities are navigating a return to life, so the boxes will begin to be unpacked. 

As you begin to examine each item you placed in the boxes, you may find that some of the things are ready to get out and used immediately. You may also find that some things may need to be put away for a bit until you are ready to use them. Some of the items may need to stay in the box, until you are fully functioning into life again and see if the practices, events or traditions are viable in this new setting. And, sadly, some things may just have to be placed, carefully away in a keepsake box because they no linger fit this world or in light of the new they no longer fit other than to be an antique, sat in a place of honor to be remembered and cherished but no longer used.

As I study I am taken to Ecclesiastes 3. King Solomon writes, "To everything there is a season." He teaches us there there is a time for everything under the sun. For some seasons it is the time to shine - to live and for some span it is a time to die. For all things in all stages it is okay to let go or to gather. I feel that to fight the seasons, to push against what has become, we are pushing against God's perfect timing for us as a people. Sometimes it is a time to keep and a time to cast away. (vs. 6)

Now don't panic (or I guess rejoice for some). I am not moving this year. As always, I hope I am staying for a bit. However, the packing and unpacking of our lives, right now, has to do with what we put away mid-March and taking care to only unpack those things that we find useful and helpful. We will need to create those symbolic Number five Boxes to place those traditions that are no linger working for us. There is no glory in hanging on to practices that no longer serve you in your life, in your relationships, and for me in my ministry.

Today:

  • Participate in examining what you packed away
  • Purge and Prioritize
  • Pray seeking the perfect timing of God for your life.



Comments