Turn That Dial


Like so many people my age, I learned to sing by riding in the car with my mom, with the windows rolled down (no AC in OK heat) and we turned up the volume on the radio and sang at the top of our lungs for the world to hear. Those were my voice lessons. My very young, single mom, and my even younger Aunt, urging me lift my voice as loud as I possibly could. It was a time of a shift in music. Thanks to Elvis, Little Richard and Motown, music was changing. Thanks to a young mom I got to listen to all of the good stuff in the car. I knew all the songs most 4 year olds did not know, or even hear for that matter. 

We lived with my grandmother. I don't think she even liked music. I could get her to turn on the car radio, but it couldn't be too loud because she could see where she was going if it was too loud. Also, she didn't like any of the "hippie" music or any of the ______ music (Motown music). You can fill in the blank, but I would rather you didn't, even in your head. My grandmother was a Southern lady, raised in the south and while I make no excuses for her mouth, her heart was good. My mother taught me better. So when I rode with Grandma we had to listen to Sammy Davis, Jr., Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra (yes, I am aware of the irony). I would beg to turn the dial. I wanted to sing a new song, a different song; songs that were rebelling against the current world, songs that taught us a different way to think and live and songs that just were weird. Sometimes Grandma would give in, most times not. 


As I study, I am led to Psalm 98. This psalm is a song of praise from people anticipating the coming rule of God for his people. We know the rest of the story. God stepped down from His heavenly throne and came to His people and died for us. They sang that song in anticipation. We have a new song to sing. A song that has happened. A song that we should turn up, loud, sing out the window, that God has come. God has saved. We are not only singing a new song, but we are new people. 

Years later, as an adult, I was still singing. I was still listening to all the music; old and new. I still found myself in a car with my grandmother, but I was usually driving. I did get to turn the dial and introduce her to new music; Prince, Kansas, The Doobie Brothers (imagine me explaining "doobie"), Journey, Rick James, The Gap Band, and can I just say, she was a big fan of Chaka Khan.  My grandma was singing a new song. She couldn't tell music by color anymore. She was able to listen with ears that could hear notes and beats and soul. Oh, and she no longer used terms she grew up with, to label others. 

We can sing a new song. We are people that are saved. All people, "There is no longer Jew or Gentile, slave or free, male and female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus." Something to consider... Ahmaud Abrbery wasn't killed because he was black. He was killed because the men that killed him had not begun to sing a new song. They were still singing the same old song passed down to others, through the ages. A song that said people of color running must be guilty/dangerous. A song that said human life is not worthy if we decided it is unworthy. A song that eliminates the sacredness of God's creation in our midst. 

You are saved people. Freed by the death of our King; a King of glory for all people.  Sing a new song. Turn that dial.

Today:

  • Check the song are you singing?
  • Look to sing praises
  • Sing a song that that brings life - life that give freedom, like the one you were given in Christ. 





Comments