You Knew the Conversation Would Come Eventually

I ran across this meme the other day. It spoke to me. 


I post a lot about coffee...a lot. I drink a lot of coffee; whipped coffee, lattes, iced coffee, black, strong coffee is my main go to. I can't remember a time when I don't love the beautiful, morning aroma of coffee. Growing up it was my alarm clock. I begged to try coffee as a little kid, so my grandma made me "little girl coffee" (warm milk and sugar with a splash of coffee) I see you, you people who still drink it that way.  It' s ok. You do you. 

The menu at my coffee bar.
Nod to Tabitha Brown intended
I love coffee so much, my husband made me a coffee bar here in our home. If the world ever completely opens up, I will have you over for coffee.  <I have included the photos of the coffee bar, just because I think it is so cool.> Promise. For me that is what coffee is about. Coffee provides, fuel and focus, but for me, coffee provides community. I love a great coffee shop to sit in and meet people, or visit with people I know. Coffee can be a great conversational bridge. It gives us something warm and strong to hold while we bridge tough conversations. It can provide sweetness to a tough message. 

Let me let you in a little secret. It isn't actually the coffee. It is the "coming together." Coming together over a cup of coffee (or tea) allows for us to actually begin together, not adversarially, and for that I am grateful. The bad (really bad...catastrophic) news is that the warm mug is not always available. What do you do then? I guess the trick, then, would be to "come together." Actually come seeking mediation and collaboration. Talk as if you have coffee in your hands. 


As I study, today I am reading into Nehemiah and wall building. Isn't counter-productive to think of wall building when you are talking about coming together, you might ask? This wall that Nehemiah was building wasn't in an effort to separate the people of Israel. It was a coming together moment. The wall represented what they loved, their land, their life, their journey together. The wall was protection for them as Jews to follow God safely from enemy attack. The wall was necessary and represented unification for them. Despite protests from a neighboring governor, they came together to build and through cooperation. It was build half its height in quick time. The work progressed well because the people has set their hearts and minds on accomplishing a unified task. I am sure in the morning, that day, as they gathered, they drank coffee and planned. 

Today

  • Find a way to come together with someone to accomplish something
  • Drink coffee, or tea, or Diet Coke (code for whatever feeds your soul with warmth)
  • Be thankful for the small things that bring you joy, life and hope
 



Comments