Burn, Baby Burn

I am blind. Not really, but I am close. I was born very prematurely and something about being under lights, with no eye patches and poor prenatal care, blah, blah, blah, I can't see. I am so blind, I can't even correct my vision with contacts and if it wasn't for technology, my glasses would be Coke bottle bottoms. Here is apt of me reading y phone. Attractive don't you think? I have to take my glasses off to read my phone, although I have bifocals so I can read books. I have about 5 pair of glasses and when I travel I take and extra pair or two...in case. I keep my glasses in the exact same spot, on the table beside my bed. Always in the same spot. I can't afford to have to fumble around in the dark for glasses, blind, in the middle of an emergency. Not being able to see makes me feel vulnerable. 



They say, when one of your five senses fails, your other senses pick up the slack. In other words, I should be able to smell things better, or tastes should seem stronger, or my hearing should be as keen as a bird dog. I pass my hearing tests with flying colors but my husband would beg to differ about keen hearing. There rest of the senses I have, I guess, are good-ish, but I really have nothing to compare them to. 

Being vulnerable, without vision, causes me to not always trust my my eyes to give me accurate information. I often read and re-read things. When I drive, I don't glance at the scenery, I stare at the road. Sorry if you wave and I don't wave back. When it comes to seeing God, I use my heart. How do you see with your heart? One of the blessings that God gives us, that we call the beatitudes, says, "God blesses the pure in heart, for they shall see God." I would love to be able to see God. I know I could trust what I see, then.

Ok, ok. I know some of you are thinking, her heart isn't THAT pure. Maybe not. But what is a pure heart, anyway? What makes a heart pure? As I study, I am taken to the writings of the prophet Ezekiel. God had Ezekiel tell His people of the promise that he would restore them, and eventually us. That restoration would come in the form a New Covenant and that covenant would be set inside our new heart, filled with His spirit. We have that New Covenant - Jesus. Through Jesus and the Sprit he gave us, God is always in our sight.

Glasses are like a filter. they take my hazy, fuzzy sight and filter the light in a way that allows them to focus and see. But when I "see" with my new heart, I am seeing through the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit isn't a filter. The Holy Spirit is like fire. It is a fire that refines, it burns away impurities. It clears obstructions to my sight. The unclouded, 20/20 vision of a pure heart allows us to see God. It will, if we don't snuff out the fire and we allow it to burn within us.

So often, I wish I could see without glasses. I would love to be able to wear cute sunglasses. Not have imprints on my nose from the pads that hold up my heavy glasses. Wake up and open my eyes and just "see." To what end? I can see with my glasses, the rest of the desires I have are superficial. But soul vision. Actually seeing God's guidance, comfort, mercy, justice...God's holy love...for me. I can rejoice in that. Who needs cute sunglasses anyway.









Today:
👩🏾‍💻 Spend time alone with the Holy Spirit and see God's light
👩🏾‍💻Ask God to clear away all the debris that clouds your vision
👩🏾‍💻 Share that Holy love - you don't have to hog it - it won't run out - it isn't pie.



Comments