Get Your Feet Wet.

This picture of Fin and AnnaBelle appear to be nothing more than two lazy critters struggling to get going in the morning. But, actually what you see here, is two animals being utterly ridiculous. Their morning routine is being disrupted by tall-ish grass and morning dew. The feeling they are communicating with their looks is saying, "Mom, can you please go dry the outside floor so we can go out and hunt birds, use the bathroom and chase bugs?" It is as if they believe I have the power and control of the cosmos to make the world do what I want it to do. I understand their distaste for for getting their tiny little toesies damp, but I can't do anything to change the dew point and humidity.

Control is a funny thing. From the moment we are born, we are taught by the people that raise us to learn to have self-control. We learn to control our behavior, our bodily functions and impulses. Life gets dicey when control begins to feel so good we want to control everything in our lives; the direction our life takes, our future and sometimes every moment of our day. We lose all sense of spontaneity when we fall into that sense of control. We cut God will for us out and replace it with our will.


Control can take an even greater turn for the worse when we begin to use the drug of control to direct the lives of others. When we try to control others by holding them captive to our will and our whims. Controlling others is also a slippery slope. Sometimes our role in life dictates a level of supervision and care for a group of people. Some of the groups that are charged with care and supervision of people are: parents for children, employers for employees, elected officials for the municipalities that has elected them...you get the drift. We slide down the slope of toxic control when we overstep their own reasoning and leadings removing their ability to learn self-control.

As I study, I turn to Proverbs. I feel today calls for a little wisdom of God prayed for and delivered by King Solomon: "Many plans are in a person’s mind, but the Lord’s purpose will succeed." (Proverbs 19:21.) What a great litmus test for the urge to hold control over my world, over others, over the weather. Is God's purpose being strived for in this control. Have I prayed about it? Has God spoken His purpose to me? Do I feel like I am allowing the Holy Spirit to lead or is it my will in control, here?

I don't believe God desires for me to click and change the weather like I have a magic remote control any or that God wants me to micro-manage those around me, or even me. While the very same King also said, "A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls," I want to be certain that even my self control lines up with the will of God. So I have to left God's will replace mine. Sorry guys, get your feet wet and get going.

Today:
πŸ‘©πŸΎ‍πŸ’» Live into the control of the Spirit.
πŸ‘©πŸΎ‍πŸ’» Pray for God to give you the strength to allow Him to control you and those around you.
πŸ‘©πŸΎ‍πŸ’»Pray about the control you are called to have on others.

Comments