When it rains it....



It’s dark. It’s quiet. The sun must be coming up because light is starting to creep into the room. I can’t tell because the storm clouds have covered up the sun up. I love a storm; thunder, lightening, rain hitting the windows. Normally, it is my favorite way to sleep. But this morning as the rain blew in I felt compelled to move into the living room, sit in the dark and enjoy the rain and the light show. 


Now bulldog girls are fans of the storm. They get anxious and want to bark it away. Puppycats ride through storm as if he has a front row seat to a broadway play. The girls settled down as the snuggled as close to me as they possibly could. There is safety close to their human. Fin too doesn’t want to get too far away, either. I am sure if we stayed like this long enough I would have to have them surgically removed. Nothing can separate the bulldogs from me, and truthfully, Fin is hanging pretty close. The good news is, at least for a good while, I don’t plan to go anywhere. 


So here we sit, rain, thunder, lightening, and dawn slowly making its entrance. Why Am I not bothered by storms and rain? Well, I know scientifically how they form, and thankfully we usually know which storms are capable of destructive behavior. I also know we need rain, it cleanses the air and waters the ground. It could be I am not bothered because as a child my grandma always taught me that thunder was really angels bowling in heaven and I still get that mentally picture a winged figure rolling a strike when I hear an especially loud boom and roll. But mostly because I know that behind those clouds, beyond the storm, the sun is still there. The sun didn’t fall out of the sky and will probably show up later today in all its glory (and sweltering heat.)


As I study I look to Paul’s letter to the followers in Rome. Chapter eight ends with the reminder that, nothing in the sky above or the earth below can separate us from the love of God. Even the lure of morning coffee, or a morning routine schedule can distract God from being present. What tenacity God has to stick right there, no matter where we are just being with us. She there we are running from Him, with Him or just ignoring Him, there God is, loving us. We find safety, security, encouragement, healing, power.  There are no words that can describe my gratitude. So I will just sit here and say thank you through the storm. 



Today:

👩🏽‍💻 Don’t let the storm overtake you

👩🏽‍💻 Carry on as if the sun is there, because it is

Comments